26 April 2014

The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

Image source

Anyone who has read Returning would cotton on that this is the kind of book I would like. I'm glad I read it after I wrote Returning!

The concept for the book was so complicated - slipping through from one time to another, one age to another, timelines for different people's lives crossing over multiple times - but it was written so well that it absorbed me.

The Old Ducks had mixed reactions to this, which I completely understand. It's not everyone's cup of tea. But it did bring up some good points for discussion around whether our lives have a set destiny and how / if that interplays with free will. Did the characters in the book have any free will at all? Were they merely playing what they thought was their part in what should happen?


Book: Paperback. Borrowed from my local library.
Rating: I have given this 4 stars on Goodreads.
One-Liner: Right up my alley, I enjoyed it very much.

11 comments:

  1. This is one of my all-time favourite books but it definitely isn't everyone's cup of tea. I know some people struggled withe back and forth timeline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's not for everyone, but it is for me!

      Delete
  2. I love this book. Unfortunately the complex layers and shifts made it a difficult film, which turned a lot of people off I think x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the film and I don't think I want to. I'd like to keep the book in my mind instead...

      Delete
  3. The time traveler's wife is one of my favourite books and movies, EVER! I can't wait to read yours now if it's similar! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thanks! One of my friends just finished my book and she said: "At first I thought it was like The Time Traveler's Wife, but there's so much more to it." :-)

      Delete
  4. Hi Francesca! Thanks for linking up with my NO RULES Weekend Blog Party!
    Wishing you a lovely week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting, Paula :-)

      Delete
  5. I really liked this book. It is complicated but for me it made it even more interesting. But I am scify, fantasy, time travel, etc. buff, lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely loved this book for it's unique plot and character development. I also really like her writing style. This is definitely a book I would read again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I listen to a lot of audiobooks during my work commute. William Hope (as Henry) and Laurel Lefkow (as Clare) did a fantastic job narrating this story. I was rather impressed with not only the story, but the pace, rhythm, emotion, and texture of the narration. The narrators fit well together and both interpreted Kimmie's accent similarly. Very few books would I listen or read twice, but I believe this one I will.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...