20 August 2013

Book Week Costume: The BFG

Book week is BIG at MissyMoo1's (6) school.

Last year, as a kinder parent who had recently returned to work from maternity leave, I had no idea what to expect and no time to prepare, so I just dressed her in a Cinderella dress-up and left it at that. Many other parents had similar ideas. It was great to see how much the school got into it, though. Kids dressed up, teachers dressed up, there were class photos, story time and a lot of other activities.

Today is book week "day" at my big girl's school. Deciding to be more "bookish" this year, I asked MissyMoo1 to think of a book character she'd like to dress up as. She swayed between Pearlie and The BFG, and ultimately went for the latter.

The BFG by Roald Dahl is one of those books parents and children can enjoy together. I loved reading it (and a lot of other Roald Dahl books) as a child and now my kids enjoy having chapters read to them at night (especially when their talented mum puts on some funny voices!). MissyMoo1 and I are reading it (again) at the moment (at a snail's pace as is to be expected when there are two younger sisters vying for attention at the same time), so I wasn't surprised when she chose it.

So, in my not-much-better-than-a-primary-school-kid way, I've been crafting up a storm.

The BFG's humungous ears:

Ears made out of cardboard
Attached
The ears were actually too big and heavy this way and made the headband fall off. We've trimmed them and reinforced the attachments to the headband, so hopefully they'll stay on. I haven't been conscientious enough to take more photos. MissyMoo1 drew the ears herself.

The suitcase which holds the BFG's dream collection in transit:



For this, we covered a cereal box in black crepe paper and tied some string into the side as a handle. B has lent us a proper kids' "port" suitcase type thingy which MissyMoo1 will probably take instead, as she thinks it's great - but it was fun making this and I'm sure MissyMoo2 (4) will be happy to take it off her big sister's hands for the dress-up box.

Dream blower trumpet:


The easiest, coolest prop ever - rolled up cardboard.


Unfortunately, I'm working today so I can't join in the story-time reading or morning tea at school, but I can get a quick look at the great book characters showing up at school when I drop MissyMoo1 off at school. I can't wait!


Do your kids dress up for book week?


Linking up with Essentially Jess today:

16 comments:

  1. Great outfit. I can't wait to see her at school. Ill be there for the morning and will make sure to make a big fuss about her and take some photos for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sending through those photos. What did Gareth go as?

      Delete
  2. picachu onsie. I am now a fan of onsies as they solve book parade issues with NO WORK on my part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another reason why onesies are awesome!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful!
    We started reading the BFG last night, we have done a number of Roald Dahl's chapter books as bedtime reading & I've noticed Mr Fresh wandering in to listen to storytime, makes my heart sing to have the 4 of us in one room enjoying a story all snuggled up!
    Our lil miss's BookWeek has been postponed a week due to the school musical happening this week & the T/L has asked that children dress for the theme of "Read Across The Universe", so I'm thinking stars & moons and a little alien....we'll see what this time poor mama can create!!
    Hope Missy Moo 1 has a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How beautiful that you're all enjoying the story together :)

      Ours was "Read Across the Universe" too, but I didn't take any notice! For a universe theme, a little bit of foil will go a long way xx

      Delete
  4. Great idea! Miss 7 wanted to dress up as an eel out of the Little Mermaid. What the??? Thankfully I had access to our dance school who had said eel costume. Wah-luh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's obscure - what a clever girl, I bet nobody else had the same costume!

      Delete
  5. What a great and original character to be! And well done you for your dressing up craftiness! I loved Roald Dahl too, isn't it great to be able to pass on what you loved as a child to your own children?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cardboard is all I can do, seeing as I can't sew!

      It's wonderful - I love it that they love it :)

      Delete
  6. I was that same mother you were a year ago! My little man went as Spiderman. Although I think I will be better prepared and so much more creative next year. LOVE the BFG Josefa from #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MissyMoo1 came home with not one, but two ideas for NEXT YEAR! Oh dear, thank goodness it's only once a year!

      Delete
  7. I'm not sure what to do - it's our first year, I don't want to do a princess but she might. I wonder if she'll go as a green sheep - ha ha, I doubt it! Great ears - LOVE RD x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were plenty of kindy princesses at school today. It's beautiful. And legit - there are lots of princess books out there!

      A green sheep would be hilarious! I saw a smurf this morning :)

      Delete
  8. What an awesome mum you are!
    I made Bridie's a few weeks ago and both BJ and Taylah got costumes for their birthday they want to wear. Taylah is in fact going as cheer Chick Charlie as written by Leeane from Deep Fried Fruit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very organised, Jess. Supermum!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...