27 October 2011

Newborn haze

Where have the last few weeks gone? MissyMoo3 is already a month old. It feels like the time has gone so quickly, but I'm also reaching the point of not remembering what it was like before she was born. Before another month goes by, I thought I would jot down a quick summary of how things are going. Even if nobody else reads it, it will be something for me to look at and remember later rather than trying to recollect things through the fog of sleeplessness!

MissyMoo3 (1 month) is doing really well. She is over one kilo heavier than her birth weight and she has grown 3 1/2 cm in length since birth. She is feeding well in the sense that she drinks a lot, but she doesn't get a proper seal around the breast so she makes a kind of slurping noise and sucks in air. She gets windy tummy pains as a result, especially during "arsenic hour", and it can be hard to settle her while she's working it through. We had the same problem with MissyMoo2 (2) and Infacol helped. I bought some yesterday while I was at the pharmacy seeing the baby health nurse, so I will start her on it next feed. The nurse said not to be preoccupied with it, MissyMoo3 is doing really well and if the worst thing we have to worry about is wind, that's not a major drama.

Hubby is wonderful. He's at work all day, then amuses the big kids or tries to settle MissyMoo3 in the evenings. On the weekends he's always spending time with the girls or doing stuff around the house - yard stuff outside, or housework inside. We make a great team.

MissyMoo1 (4) and MissyMoo2 each have their own things happening in their lives, which I hope to write about later. They love their baby sister dearly. They love holding her, kissing her and watching her. They fight over which one of them MissyMoo3 is looking at or who gets to hold her next. They have been arguing a lot, probably because they're doing their own adjusting and because they have been left to their own devices a lot more - early parent intervention in arguments is a rare occurrence these days so they're having to figure things out for themselves. They have tried my patience a bit over the past few weeks but they are (slowly) getting better with one another and learning to play together a bit more.

And as for me? Well, I'm doing pretty well. Although I haven't checked the scales in the past couple of weeks, I am happily back in non-maternity clothes. I am absolutely loving not being pregnant. I am tired, but I still feel like I have so much more energy than I did when I was pregnant and not being restricted physically in what I can do is a great feeling. I'm adjusting to looking after three kids - taking that much longer to go anywhere or do anything. Sometimes it's frustrating to not be able to get any time to myself or to spend with Hubby, but we both know that it will only last for a short time to this extent and things will get easier. I've learnt a lot of new things or remembered things I'd learnt when the other MissyMoos were babies and had since forgotten, such as all the things I can manage to do with bub in a Baby Bjorn, or how to pick up a myriad of items off the floor with my toes! I'm feeling a little foggy with the broken sleep - the newborn haze is setting in so I'm having to write lots of lists so that I don't forget things (even more so than when I was pregnant!). Nothing is ever finished and there's always something to do, even more so than before, so that is taking some getting used to. But we're managing outings and other commitments, so I think we're doing pretty well.

I'd better go. I have to do, uh, something...

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are doing really well. I can't believe it has been a month already!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment here before you go. I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...